Thursday, December 1, 2011

So, here's my new blog

I plan to write on this blog about my observations and adventures in my "new" home. Obviously, this is supposed to be fun and occasionally funny, even though the so-called observational humour might not be a very original idea (it strikes me that a lot of people are doing that now). I'm also aware that I'm possibly the 6'123'498th person to ever reference "you can't go home again" after going home, but if it's good enough for Bill Bryson, it's good enough for me.

Without further ado, here are the first few observations I had since returning home:

- People walk really, really slowly, especially in my home town of Bern, and nobody seems to care. Did I use to walk that slowly? Why?

- I work with a girl that wears Transitions Lenses.

- I work with a lot of Germans, not that there's anything wrong with that.

- Some people I work with are socially awkward (yeah, that was unexpected for a lab full of physicists).

- Public transport in Switzerland is amazing. Trains and buses run on time (almost always), are very clean, and you can reach pretty much every single village in Switzerland without driving.

- Beer: In pretty much every bar there's an excellent selection of one beer whose taste is somewhere between a Miller Hi-Life and water. And it comes in giant portions of 0.25 to 0.3 l (8.5 - 10 oz) for a paltry CHF 4.00 (~US$ 4.40). If you're lucky you can get beers in bottles, choices are Heineken, Stella and other tasty variants of the light lager.

- Döner Kebabs are really, really tasty. So is Swiss chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment